While I was on the computer the other day, my wife seemed kind of bummed.
“What is wrong?”
“Nothing….well, I went over my calories today by 193.”
I forgot that my wife is still tracking what she eats. She has been doing it for a month.
We have two food scales at home. We have tons of portion bags.
“I know what it was. I had a slice of red velvet cake. It was 187 calories. It was worth it though.”
And she is really tracking! She knows everything that she eats. She weighs all of the food in our house by the gram.
“Well, I think the most important part is that you are tracking. I mean, if you go over a day, no biggie.”
This is coming from a guy that has not tracked food in over two years.
Just so you know, my wife has lost 8 pounds this month. She has tracked everything. It works!
She has really focused on what she puts in her body. She has been moving more. She did all of this on her own.
She did get me thinking. I need to get out of my comfort zone a little.
I am challenging myself a little for 2010.
I am going write a list of things down that I will accomplish. Everything on this list will be “out of my comfort zone”. But I think it is what I need to get to the next level. What that level is, I have no idea.
Here is a small sample of the list….
1. Track everything- I have blogged how I am bad at tracking.But why can’t I be good at it? Sure, I changed what I have eaten, but you can still overeat pineapple and chicken.
I have an iPhone with tracking apps, three computers, and I always carry a pencil and paper. Starting now, I am going to track all of my food. I have no excuse not to.
2. Get to 205– I have been chilling at the 224 mark. I do not think that losing 19 pounds in five months is unreasonable. I do not need to do anything drastic. Just eat a touch less and move a touch more.
3. Take a Zumba class- I make fun of it all the time. Yet, every time I make fun of it, I get a few emails from people telling me how great it is! Fine! I want to see if it is that fun.
4. Get one article published- I love to blog, but I do know it will never be a career. I enjoy writing, and I would love to see if I can motivate myself to have one of my pieces published in a newspaper or a magazine. I am starting off by writing a fun piece for Diets In Review this Sunday. But I am going to submit a few. What is the worst thing publishers will say…”No, you stink!” Well, then I will take a shower!
5. Compliment more- I think a lot of nice things, but I do not say them as much. If my wife wears a cute outfit, I will think it looks nice, but not say anything. That is silly.
I see bloggers with new avatars or pictures after losing weight, and I really do need to make a point to tell them how great they look. I think it a lot, but rarely comment.
These are just a few things. I am bringing you into my personal life. Some of these will seem silly to you and maybe they are. But as the weeks go on, I am going to add more to them.
I am going to put the question on my Facebook page as well. What is one thing you would like to accomplish in 2010? Something that is out of your comfort zone.
My wife inspired me to be better. She always has.
She is The Anti-Bertinelli.